St. Scholastica’s College Manila is a Catholic institution recognized by the Department of Education (DepEd) and the Commission on Higher Education (CHED). It is a charter member of the Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities (PAASCU). Since its foundation in 1906, St. Scholastica’s College has been administered by the Missionary Benedictine Sisters of Tutzing. Starting with the elementary grades, it admitted high school students in 1907 and opened its collegiate department in 1920. It pioneered formal music education in the Philippines, opening a Conservatory of Music in 1907 which, to the present, has turned out most of the leading women musicians of the country. Within its 3.6 hectare campus is an enrollment of 4,837 (figure as of September 2013) elementary, secondary, college and graduate students.
- Who was St. Scholastica?
- Who is St. Benedict?
- What year were St. Benedict and St. Scholastica born?
- Where was the birthplace of St. Scholastica and St. Benedict?
- What was the name of the convent which was established by St. Scholastica?
- Inscribed on a St. Benedict Medal are CSSML and NDSMD. What are the meaning of CSSML and NDSMD?
- When did the first German Missionary Benedictine Sisters arrive in the Philippines?
- What was the place of origin of the first five German Missionary Benedictine Sisters?
- Where did the first five German Missionary Benedictine Sisters stay during their first three months in the Philippines?
- When did St. Scholastica’s College in Moriones, Tondo begin?
- Who were the two persons who requested the German Missionary Benedictine Sisters to give religious instructions to the poor children in Manila?
- Who were the five German Missionary Benedictine Sisters appointed for the mission of bringing God’s word to the Philippines?
- Initially, how many paying students did the first five German Missionary Benedictine Sisters have?
- About how many non-paying students were there in the “Free School” of the five German Missionary Benedictine Sisters?
- After a year in Moriones, Tondo, the school was transferred to a bigger place. Where was this place?
- How long did the five German Benedictine Missionary Sisters stay in San Marcelino Street in Manila?
- What is the school’s motto?
- Where did the school’s motto come from?
- Who wrote the Holy Rule?
- Why is the color of the school uniform blue and white?
- Who were the first teachers of St. Scholastica’s College?
- What is the school’s mission and thrust?
- What is the title of the school’s hymn?
- What song do we sing at solemn feast and graduation?
- What is the title of the song “We are here, dear SSC to laud your glory to the sky”?
- What is the title of the school’s centennial hymn?
- What is the meaning of the Latin word “PAX”?
- Who is our present Mother Prioress?
- Who is our Prioress General in Rome?
- Who is SSC’s 18th President?
- What is the school’s theme for school year 2012 – 2015?
MISSION & VISION
Mission We are a Catholic Benedictine educational institution for young women committed to providing a holistic formation anchored on academic excellence to mold our students into critically aware and socially responsible agents of change towards the transformation to a just and equitable society.
Vision We envision self-fulfilled Scholastican women and men of character and integrity, imbued with Filipino, Christian and Benedictine values, living out ora et labora, with a passion for service and commitment to truth and justice to transform society.
- 1884 – Fr. Andreas Amrhein, OSB founded the Missionary Benedictine Congregation of monks. He founded the Missionary Benedictine Sisters of Tutzing to help in the mission work in the following year, 1885.
- 1906 – The first five German Sisters: M. Ferdinanda Hoelzer, Sr. Petronilla Keller, Sr. Crescentia Veser, Sr. Winfrieda Mueller, and Novice Alexia Ruedenauer arrived on Philippine soil on September 14, the Feast of the Exaltation of the Cross.The first school in a windowless wagon-shed along Moriones Street, Tondo opened for the first three grades on December 3. The first enrolment was 8 children (2 boys and 6 girls) from well-to-do families and 50 boys and girls in the “Free School.”
- 1914 – Construction of the new building started on a bigger church lot in Singalong offered by Archbishop Harty. At early dawn on the day before Christmas, the Sisters, together with some student boarders, moved to the new address 1532 Pennyslvania Avenue.
- 1919 – The first 3 AB students graduated.
- 1925 – The Educational Survey Commission and the Board of Education Survey named St. Scholastica’s College one of the two schools maintaining the “highest standards with reference to physical plant, equipment, teaching personnel, and methods of instruction.”
- 1942 – St. Scholastica’s College was sealed as “property of the Japanese Imperial Forces.” Part of the school was converted into a hospital and the school became a sanctuary for people whosuffered from the terrors of war.
- 1945 – On February 13, an incendiary bomb set St. Cecilia’s Conservatory of Music on fire. The other buildings were also razed to the ground. All the buildings were gone except the small wooden structures: the free school, the old home economics building, and kindergarten.
- 1947 – After a period of reconstruction and renewal, theschool re-opened its doors to the students. The pursued goal was Academic Excellence: Education of Finished Women of Character.
- 1975 – St. Scholastica’s College declared its commitment to social justice and peace, drew up a
statement on the components of a socially-oriented school and adopted the theme: EDUCATION FOR JUSTICE.
- 1985 – An Introductory Course in WOMEN’S STUDIES was incorporated in all academic programs. The Institute of Women’s Studies (IWS) was established and an eco- feminism model farm was put up in Mendez, Cavite.
- 2006 – St. Scholastica’s College turned 100 years old.
- 2007 – The National Historical Institute (NHI) approved the unveiling of the historical marker commemorating the school’s 100 year history.
- 2008 – St. Scholastica’s College articulated its thrust for the next decade: Education of Transformative Women Leaders. The Ten Directions of SSC and The Ten Hallmarks of Benedictine Education (Benedictine Values) were formulated.
- 2009 – The Corporators decided that St. Scholastica’s College will remain a Women’s college.
- 2010 – A College graduate topped (Rank 1) the Licensure Examinations in Guidance and Counseling
- 2011 – The new five-storey St. Cecilia’s Building was blessed and inaugurated. It houses the School of Music, the College Library (Print and Non-Print Sections), the Music Library, the Corazon Aquino Recital Hall, the HRM Laboratories, and two function halls.
- 2012 – The Friedenshaus Hotel School was blessed on July 26.
- 2013 – The School of Music was named a Center of Excellence in Music Education by the Commission on Higher Education. Two College graduates ranked 5th and 8th in the Licensure Examination for Teachers.
Enrollment starts this summer! Click here for more info.
Spread the love and good news!
Share this to someone you care about.